Captain's Log:
Day 19 with no alcohol and no Dr. Pepper. I don't know about y'all, but this is a big deal for me. In a progressive city where alcohol flows freely, Brunch with mimosas is a major Sunday event, and live music every night is the equivalent to a good time, its easy to get caught up in the party lifestyle. I can't even remember what my moment of clarity was, but I woke up one morning and decided "I want to try something different." This is by no means a resolution to quit drinking forever. It's more like a "quit drinking for now" phase. And its surprisingly easy. If anything, I miss Dr. Pepper. Sweet, sweet, nectar of the Gods Dr. Pepper. I'm still down for live music and hanging out. But I don't want to fight hangovers anymore. Yuck. No more eating breakfast tacos and drinking Dr. Pepper at a restaurant with sunglasses on. Not very glamorous. But hey, its time to be honest with myself. Partying has a shelf life. Do I still want to be that woman who goes out all the time 10 years from now? I'm not knocking anyone down, to each his own. Nor is this an attempt to settle down either, not right now at least. Its all about making health my number one priority. After that, everything will fall into place. Gravy, baby. Gravy.
And I already feel so, so much better. I'm enjoying my weekends more. I get more stuff done throughout my day. And I never call myself an "artist", but I feel my creative side about to burst! There are so many things I want to create. I'm a visual person, my medium of choice art photos. At the moment, at least. And I want to make something beautiful, every single day.
So yes, quitting drinking "for now" is pretty much the best thing I've done lately.
Huzzzah!
Jacks.
Comments
Post a Comment