Skip to main content

And she sings a lovely song, just so we can get along...

Well dang. 10 whole days without alcohol and I feel like a new person. I even turned down free Lonestar last night....FREE LONESTAR! Let that sink in a moment. I'm not giving up drinking permanently, this is just something I do once a year for about a month. I focus more on my health, my head clears, priorities in life come into place, etc. etc. I even do this with 420. (come on, no surprise there, and no shame, either.)

I do this for no one but myself. There is this one person in my life (her name will remain anonymous), who brought to my attention: "Jackie, you are so pretty, can you imagine how much more beautiful you'd be if you didn't drink?" Of course, the joker that I am replied, "Did you just call me pretty?" I tried to make light of the situation. This person drinks about 2 times a year, if at that. Owns a home, a mother, a wife, etc. That is not the life I live. I am not a mother, or a wife. Obviously if I WAS married, it would be with someone who had common interests. I don't plan to change who I am just to snag a boyfriend. I'm me. No more, no less. I live in Austin, and I am constantly surrounded by live music, new  and cool restaurants, or friends. Its easy to indulge, but its all about balance.

So this little jab got me thinking. Dang, the only time anyone ever says anything negative about my looks are women. Ever. I know I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat. I've got curves for days. And so what, my heart was broken this year and I got depressed. It happens. But I can always work out again and get fit. My looks might improve but who cares? It's about wanting it for yourself. Y'all would be surprised with the catty remarks women make. "She thinks she's so cool because she has green eyes." "Whoa, did you just call me cool?" Or the ever popular "She's too nice, she's fake". Well now, I don't know about you, but I was raised this way. So instead of giving in and letting these women and their awful remarks get to me, I turn it into a positive. So..... so far, I've been called "pretty, cool, and nice". Why thanks, ladies who are not nice to me for whatever reason, I think it might be insecurity on your end, but that's on you...Not one man in my entire life has ever said anything negative about my appearance. Never. Not to me at least. So in a way, thanks, guys for being nice, or keeping rude comments to yourself. Either way, its still nicer than what a few women have to say.  Now this isn't all women. You have your stragglers who are mean girls for no reason.

However, I am blessed to be close to a lot of lovely women who only want the best for me. Looks don't matter. We judge folks based on whether they are good people or not. I judge based on taste of music and films. And of course, if folks have a good heart. If you listen to Creed, I'll tell you right now, its over.

This society emphasizes looks. Instead of building each other up, women tear each other down. I can easily turn it around and make jabs at these women's looks. But I would never do that. That's not the person I am. I honest to goodness would feel like a I did a bad thing if I were to ever tell a woman something negative about her looks. Body shaming causes eating disorders and insecurities. Why would I ever want someone to go through that? Fine yes, I was born with green eyes. Thanks mom. But really, who cares?  You have brown eyes? Get contacts. Get your nails done. Get hair extensions for all care. Just leave me out of it. You can buy things to change your outside appearance, but having a good heart, that's something money can't buy.

Sorry, I almost always never say anything like this. But I'm so tired of all the negativity. I need to stand up for myself. Even if its in a blog I'm sure no one reads. I have way too many cool things going on in my life to focus on someone's superficial opinion of me. No more tearing each down, ladies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand like a lizard on a window pane.

Life is funny, isn't it?  Sometimes I feel as though I have it all figured out, then bam! New things arise and I'm left scrambling to get my life back together. The best thing I have done for myself this year is to learn to say "no", and to stand up for myself. I will no longer be the person people can walk over. If  I feel uncomfortable in a setting, I leave. If someone upsets me, I won't talk to them anymore. To most this may not seem like a big deal, but to me, this is everything.